Mother’s Day is an ideal way to honor the women in your life who have helped you become the person you are today. In recent years, it has moved past the celebration of (just) one’s own mother and encompassed grandmothers, women we think of as second mothers, mother-in-laws, fur moms, best friends, and even female mentors. Mother’s Day is also a great way to honor women in our world who have made a difference.
Broadening the definition of mother also allows for a more inclusive celebration on a day that can, for some, be a sad occasion. While everyone may not have a mother living or a good relationship with one who is, everyone has a special woman in their lives who they can celebrate.
Mother’s Day can now be transformed into a time to honor those women who have nurtured us and helped us grow, whether they gave birth to us or not. Keep that in mind in your marketing.
27 Ideas to Celebrate Mother’s Day at Your Business
Here are some engaging marketing ideas to celebrate this heart-warming holiday:
- Host a contest by inviting people on your social media page to share stories about the special women in their lives. Allow people to vote on the best and award prizes.
- Offer a Mother’s Day discount. Offer a discount to your audience and invite them to share with their favorite moms out there.
- Give away a Mother’s Day flower (or other free item). Provide a flower to every woman who walks into your store (or buys something from you) and wish them a Happy Mother’s Day.
- Record a video of your staff telling stories about women who influenced them.
- Share your mother’s best recipe.
- Create a gift guide. Work with other businesses to list their items and services as well.
- Offer last-minute, e-delivery of gift cards.
- Send reminder emails counting down the days until Mother’s Day with gift suggestions or ways to honor their mom.
- Create a video of a DIY project for mom.
- Host a special event moms would enjoy.
- Create kits of things moms can do with their kids.
- Create a taster or tester bag, free with purchase to all ladies in your store.
- Offer a free consultation or roll out a new service for busy moms.
- Create a page (or landing page) dedicated to Mother’s Day shopping.
- Create a themed board on Pinterest of gift ideas, places to take your mom, or activities to do together.
- Offer a “Tell your story” session or memoir writing for moms class.
- Create a special wine-pairing or tasting event in honor of moms.
- Host a tea at your business. Encourage people to dress up. Offer prizes for best hat or outfit.
- Post mother-related quotes on social media in the week leading up to the big day.
- Hold a Mother’s Day selfie or funniest video contest.
- Host a photo contest of moms with your product.
- Offer chair massages for moms while people browse or wait for food.
- Run a “Caption this” picture contest with an endearing picture of motherhood.
- Invite people to share pictures they think epitomize motherhood.
- Encourage people to share generational pics of mom, grandmoms, great grandmoms, etc., or post about how much you miss your mom if she has passed on. You might be surprised how many people identify with this sentiment on Mother’s Day.
- Host a “Tag your mom (or a special woman)” for a chance to win contest.
- Post funny questions on social media. Categories could include “hardest working mom in the animal kingdom,” “Who has it harder—boy moms, girl moms, both?”, “Sign you’re a mom”, or “This or that” questions “like which would your mom like more as a gift—chocolates or jewelry?”.
This year, have some fun with Mother’s Day and use it to get more engagement with your audience while also bring smiles to many faces.