The Alameda Chamber Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit subsidiary of the Alameda Chamber of Commerce. It serves to educate the people who live and work in Alameda on the conditions necessary for our businesses and the community to thrive, how business positively impacts our community, and emerging issues and creative solutions that will shape the future. The Foundation provides scholarships and ongoing leadership development, education programs that provide unique opportunities for learning and growth, and solutions to important community problems like homelessness.
- Applicant must be a graduating high school senior planning to further his or her educational or career goals by attending a two- or four-year college or technical, vocational, or apprenticeship program.
- Applicant must demonstrate academic persistence and dedicated service to his or her local community.
- Applicant must attend high school in Alameda.
- The deadline for the 2021-22 scholarship is June 30, 2021, 11:59 pm PT. Applications received after that will not be considered.
- No officer, director, manager, or trustee of the Foundation or Chamber, nor any substantial contributor, along with each of their family members, are eligible for the scholarship grants.
- Be a U.S. Citizen or legal permanent resident with a valid permanent resident card or passport stamped I-551.
The Alameda Chamber Foundation Board of Directors will select scholarship recipients based on various criteria, including academic persistence, community involvement and service, and career interest. Scholarships will be awarded to students who plan to pursue a post-secondary degree in the sciences. Seniors from all high schools in Alameda are strongly encouraged to apply.
Upon receipt of the scholarship application, Chamber Foundation staff will verify completed applications (applications missing components will not be verified and thus not eligible). After verification, applications will be assigned a number and stripped of identifying markers such as name, address, etc. The Alameda Chamber Foundation Board of Directors (judges) will review numbered applications and make recommendations on awards. Judges who know, or can identify, an applicant based on a letter of reference or essay will recuse themselves from deliberations relating to that applicant(s).
All applicants will be notified in writing of the Alameda Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s decision. The Chamber/Chamber Foundation reserves the right to publicize the names and images of scholarship recipients through its website, digital and social media, print publications, and local media.
Scholarship checks ($1,000 each) will be sent directly to the recipient to fund the recipient’s educational and career goals.
Scholarship applicants will be required to email the following documents during the application (in one email with the subject line of the Foundation scholarship application).
- Copy of school transcript (past two years)
- List of community service activities and dates of participation
- Personal letter of reference
- Essay response to the following prompt: Describe your career interests and how you see yourself contributing to the Alameda community in the future (or how you currently do). The essay should be 300-500 words.
If you have any questions regarding this scholarship or the application process, please contact the Alameda Chamber Foundation at 510-522-0414.