The Alameda Chamber Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit subsidiary of the Alameda Chamber & Economic Alliance. It serves to educate the people who live and work in Alameda on the conditions necessary for our businesses and the community to thrive, how business positively impacts our community, and emerging issues and creative solutions that will shape the future. The Foundation provides scholarships and ongoing leadership development, education programs that provide unique opportunities for learning and growth, and solutions to important community problems like homelessness.
The Foundation will be awarding 14 exceptional graduating seniors in Alameda $2,000 scholarships and the top winner, the Wilma Chan Scholarship valued at $5,000, to fund their educational and career goals.
Eligibility and Application Requirements
- Applicant must be a graduating high school senior planning to further his or her educational or career goals by attending a two- or four-year college or technical, vocational, or apprenticeship program.
- Applicant must demonstrate academic persistence and dedicated service to Alameda.
- Applicant must attend high school in Alameda.
- The deadline for the 2022 scholarship is Monday, May 9, 2022, 11:59 pm PT. Applications received after that will not be considered.
- No officer, director, manager, or trustee of the Foundation or Chamber, nor any substantial contributor, along with each of their family members, are eligible for the scholarship grants.
- Be a U.S. Citizen or legal permanent resident with a valid permanent resident card or passport stamped I-551.
To be considered, each students must complete the online application form that includes the following:
- Copy of high school transcript (past two years)
- List of community service activities and dates of participation
- Essay response to the prompt: Describe your career interests and how you see yourself contributing to the Alameda community in the future (or how you currently do). The essay should be 300-500 words.
- Personal letter of recommendation
Scholarship applicants will be required to email the document(s) during the application (in one email with the subject line "Foundation Scholarship Recommendation __APPLICANT NAME___") to communications@alamedachamber.
The Alameda Chamber Foundation Board of Directors will select Scholarship recipients based on a variety of criteria including academic persistence, community involvement and service, and career interest. A portion of the scholarships will be awarded to students who plan to pursue a degree/career in a STEM field (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math). Seniors from all high schools in Alameda are strongly encouraged to apply.
Upon receipt of the scholarship application, Chamber Foundation staff will verify completed applications (applications missing components will not be verified, and thus, not eligible).
After verification, applications will be assigned a number and stripped of identifying markers such as name, address, etc. The Alameda Chamber Foundation Board of Directors (judges) will review numbered applications and make recommendations on awards. Judges who know, or can identify, an applicant based on a letter of reference or essay will recuse themselves from deliberations relating to that applicant(s).
All applicants will be notified in writing of the Alameda Chamber Foundation’s decision. The Chamber/Chamber Foundation reserves the right to publicize the names and images of scholarship recipients through its website, digital and social media, print publications, and local media.
Scholarship checks will be sent directly to the recipient to fund the recipient’s educational and career goals.
The Chamber Scholarship Award Ceremony will be held on Thursday, June 30th. (Location TBD). Winners and their families will be invited.
If you have any questions regarding this scholarship or the application process, please contact the Alameda Chamber Foundation at 510-522-0414 or email email@example.com.