Eligibility and Application Requirements
- Applicant must be a graduating high school senior planning to further his or her educational or career goals by attending a two- or four-year college or technical, vocational, or apprenticeship program In Fall of 2024.
- Must be pursuing a career in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math)
Technology may include the integration of Arts up to:
-Electronic Sound/Music Engineering
- Applicant must attend high school in Alameda.
- The deadline is Monday, April 1st, 2024, 11:59 PM PT. Applications received after that will not be considered. Decisions will be released late April.
- *No GPA Requirement or Letter of Recommendation. Students of traditionally underrepresented backgrounds in STEM will be highly considered.
To be considered, each student must complete the online application form that includes the following:
- Financial Need Explanation
- Career Aspiration Sentence Statement
- List of high school activities and years of participation
- List of (outside of school) personal activities
- Essay response to the prompt: Discuss a personal situation you’ve encountered and explain how it has shaped your commitment to pursuing a career in STEM. How do you envision leveraging your skills, education, and/or perspective to contribute to the advancement of these fields? The essay should be no more than 500 words.
A group of volunteer Alameda community members will select Scholarship recipients based on a variety of criteria including academic persistence, community involvement and service, financial need, and career interest. Scholarships will be awarded to students who plan to pursue a degree/career in a STEAM field (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math). Although the scholarship aims to award funding to minority students who have been traditionally underrepresented in the sciences, all seniors who attend high school in Alameda may apply.
Upon receipt of the scholarship application, Chamber Foundation staff will verify completed applications (applications missing components will not be verified, and thus, not eligible).
After verification, applications will be assigned a number and stripped of identifying markers such as name, address, etc. The Alameda Chamber Foundation community judges will review numbered applications and make recommendations on awards. Judges who know, or can identify, an applicant based on an essay will recuse themselves from deliberations relating to that applicant(s).
All applicants will be notified in writing of the Alameda Chamber Foundation’s decision. The Chamber/Chamber Foundation reserves the right to publicize the names and images of scholarship recipients through its website, digital and social media, print publications, and local media.
The Foundation will be awarding 14 exceptional graduating seniors in Alameda $1,000 scholarships who are traditionally underrepresented in the sciences to fund their educational and STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) career goals.
Scholarship checks are sent directly to the recipient to fund the recipient’s educational and career goals.
The Foundation hosts a Chamber Scholarship Award Ceremony each year for sponsors, winners and their families. This year, the ceremony will be held on Tuesday, May 7th from 5-6:30 PM.
If you have any questions regarding this scholarship or the application process, please contact the Alameda Chamber Foundation at 510-522-0414 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Quotes From Past Winners:
“I plan to use the scholarship money to buy textbooks, school supplies, and a new laptop, to further my education. I would like to say thank you to the sponsors, for helping me further my education as well I would like to thank Alameda Chamber.”
“I will use the scholarship money I earned to help pay for my tuition at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia in an effort to further my education.”
“This scholarship fund would lessen the burden on myself and my family to pay for my college education in my pursuit of becoming a nurse practitioner. I am grateful that the money can specifically cover most if not all textbook expenses for two years within my program so again I can’t thank you enough for this opportunity.”
“I plan to use this scholarship money to further my education starting with completing my undergraduate degree at University of California Los Angeles, where I am majoring in Public Affairs. I hope this will further my career goals, where I hope to eventually attend law school and work as an environmental lawyer or policymaker.”
2022 - 2023 Alameda Chamber Foundation Scholarship Award
The Alameda Chamber Foundation’s 2022 Scholarship Award Ceremony took place on June 30th on the USS Hornet.
Congratulations to our 2022 Alameda Chamber Foundation Scholarship winners:
2022 Scholarship Recipients
- Wilma Chan Award: Henry Mills, Alameda High
- Brian Lin, Encinal High
- Kristen Wong, Alameda High
- Jacob Ackiron, Alameda High
- Madison Tiaffay, Alameda High
- Iris Phillips, Encinal High
- Melody Ko, Alameda High
- Haley Molina, Alameda High
- Marie Anne Santos Navarro, St. Joseph Notre Dame
- Sylvie Lam, Alameda High
- Emily Farley, Alameda Science & Technology Institute
- Ava McCracken, Alameda High
- Jenna Chan, Alameda High
- David Velasquez, Alameda Community Learning Center
- Jenna Elaidy, Alameda High
2023 Scholarship Recipients
- Nyla Padilla, Alameda High
- Naila Kira Cadden, Alameda Science and Technology Institute (ASTI)
- Maysa Amer, ASTI (Alameda Science and Technology Institute)
- Ian Tan, Encinal High School
- Kelsi Johnson, Encinal High School
- Grace Tiana Yanger, Encinal High School
- Karla Guadalupe Castillejos- Ruiz, NEA Community Learning Center
- James Vuong, Encinal High School
- Isabelle Tandradinata, Alameda Science and Technology Institute (ASTI)
- Jian Pei Liang, Encinal High School
- Tongbei Yu, Alameda High
- Marwa Arghandiwal, Alameda High
- Gabriela Tadeo, Alameda High
- Roxana Pourfarzaneh, Alameda High
Alameda Chamber Foundation
The Alameda Chamber Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit subsidiary of the Alameda Chamber & Economic Alliance. It serves to educate the people who live and work in Alameda on the conditions necessary for our businesses and the community to thrive, how business positively impacts our community, and emerging issues and creative solutions that will shape the future. The Foundation provides scholarships and ongoing leadership development, education programs that provide unique opportunities for learning and growth, and solutions to important community problems like homelessness.