The Alameda Chamber of Commerce hosts quarterly Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Town Hall Meetings featuring discussions on topics that are shaping the business and community as well as educating attendees on the value of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Recently, our conversations have been attracting a lot of attention and we’re proud of our work to widen our lens of diversity, challenge our own views and become educated about the contributions of people of differing races, ethnicities, and orientations.
Our Town Hall conversations are also aimed at helping Alameda businesses become employers of choice by improving their cultural knowledge, understanding of access, and diversity training.
We want Alameda to become a resource and example for other communities looking to, or needing to, explore DEI.
If your organization would like to join us or be a part of our presentations, please let us know. Your voice and place in the community discussion are important to us.
We will work continually to support all visitors, employers, and inhabitants of Alameda to feel welcome, and to have access as a necessary part of the community so everyone can grow and thrive. If there’s a diversity topic of interest to you or your organization, please contact us and share it.
DEI Town Hall Mission:
To engage in collaborative work that creates, nurtures and sustains an inclusive community in Alameda through education, access and discussion, where differences drive innovative solutions to meet the needs of all regardless of race, ethnicity, age, or sexual orientation.
To model a culture of diversity, inclusion, equity and access in Alameda, that makes us stronger, more successful, and transforms us into the type of community that invites and is inclusive of all types of people.
Alameda DEI Town Hall Goals:
- Continually do individual work to widen our lens of diversity, challenge our own views and become educated about the contributions of people of differing races, ethnicities, and orientations.
- Help Alameda businesses become employers of choice by improving their cultural knowledge, understanding of access, and diversity training.
- Become a resource and example for other communities looking to, or needing to, explore DEI
- Work continually to support all visitors, employers, and inhabitants of Alameda to feel welcome, and to have access as a necessary part of the community
- Provide a stage for important discussions that will help the community grow and thrive
Presentation/Town Hall Calendar:
The DEI Town Hall Meetings feature speakers on a variety of topics concerning education, ideologies and differences. (Until otherwise notified, these monthly conversations will occur via Zoom.) Topics include:
June 2021: The Contributions of the LGBTQIA Community to America (panel to be announced)
Questions to be addressed include:
- What was the monumental situation that changed the course of LGBT rights in America?
- Who are some historic LGBTQ contributors to the history of America?
- How has LGBTQIA discrimination caused trauma and how has this manifested itself in the lives of LGBTQIA and other disenfranchised individuals?
If you would like to present, be involved in the planning, add your celebration of diversity and inclusion, or learn about a particular DEI topic, contact Madlen at 510-522-0414.
Days of Recognition and Awareness
- It's OK to Be Different Month
- Black History Month
- Women's History Month
- Irish American Heritage Month
- Expanding Girls' Horizons in Science and Engineering Month
- National Fair Housing Month
- Scottish-American Heritage Month
- Cinco de Mayo
- Older Americans Month
- Asian American and Pacific Islanders Heritage Month
- African American Music Appreciation Month
- LGBTQIA Pride Month
- National Caribbean American Month
- National PTSD Awareness Month
- Black Business Month
- National Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month (9/15-10/15)
- Amerindian Heritage Month
- National Disability Employment Awareness Month
- National Italian-American Heritage and Culture Month
- Black History Month (UK)
- Filipino American History Month
- LGBT History Month (US and Canada)
- Polish American Heritage Month
- National American Indian/Native American/Alaska Native Heritage Month
Watch our past conversation on our Chamber YouTube Channel.
May 2021: How Asian Discrimination Caused the Omission of the Asian Contribution to America with Dr. Cindy Acker
- What is the history of Asian migration to America?
- What caused the discrimination of Asians in America?
- What contributions by Asian individuals created important aspects of America?
- What does Asian allyship need to look like and why?
April 2021: The Black-White Wealth Gap with Dr. Jon Haverman
- How big is the gap, and what are recent trends?
- What are the primary sources of the Gap?
- How might government policy influence the gap?